This is the first year I’ve attempted making a ham. It is a bit of a process but I really enjoyed making this. When you read the recipe don’t be shocked that it has coca cola in, trust me, it tastes incredible! So here’s the recipe, I researched a few recipes that I liked the look of, this was my favourite from BBC Good Food, so give it a try.
- 2kg unsmoked boneless gammon joint
- 2l cola (not diet)
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tbsp peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
For the glaze
- 150ml maple syrup
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- pinch of ground cloves or five-spice
- STEP 1 Put 2kg unsmoked boneless gammon joint in a large pan and cover with 2l cola. Add 1 chopped carrot, 1 quartered onion, 1 chopped celery stick, 1 cinnamon stick, ½ tbsp peppercorns and 1 bay leaf.
- STEP 2 Bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer for around 2 ½ hrs, topping up with boiling water if necessary to keep the gammon fully covered.
- STEP 3 Carefully pour the liquid away, then let the ham cool a little while you heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
- STEP 4 Lift the ham into a roasting tin, then cut away the skin leaving behind an even layer of fat. Score the fat all over in a criss-cross pattern.
- STEP 5 Mix 150ml maple syrup, 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar and a pinch of ground cloves or five-spice in a jug.
- STEP 6 Pour half over the fat, roast for 15 mins, then pour over the rest and return to the oven for another 30 mins, baste half way through.
- STEP 7 Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 mins, then spoon more glaze over the top. Can be roasted on the day or up to 2 days ahead and served cold.