Packed full of iron, this is a super easy, delicious soup to try out.
- 1.5 cup red lentils
- 8 cups Vegetable stock/ water
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 small Onion
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Minced
- 1 large tomato Chopped
- 1 large carrot Chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ tspn Cumin powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Mild Curry Powder
- 1 tspn Paprika
- 3 cups spinach Tightly packed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- half lemon wedge
- fresh coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pot. When medium hot, add chopped onion followed by garlic. Saute 2-3 minutes. The onion will start to soften and no more raw smell of garlic.
- Stir in chopped tomato and carrots. Saute for a minute and let the veggies soften.
- Add all the spices turmeric, cumin, curry powder, paprika. Saute for a minute. This helps to develop the flavour.
- Stir in washed lentil and stock/water to the pot. Season with salt.
- Once it comes to a rolling boil, reduce the flame and let it cook covered for another 20 minutes.
- When the lentil is almost cooked and carrot is tender, add Spinach to the pot.
- Mix well and let it simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in fresh lemon juice. Adjust the seasoning and add more salt and pepper if required.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves when serving.
- To cook lentils faster, soak the lentils for 10-15 mins. Then drain and add to the pan.
Serving: 200g | Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1915mg | Potassium: 884mg | Fiber: 22g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 5880IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 6.5mg